Pyrexia!

After a long hiatus... I'm BACK.
I have had a few life changes - Moved from Chicago to Minneapolis and have began renovating and decorating our new home in Minneapolis.
 
That being said... Vintage PYREX has been a new obsession between some friends and I.
They look so great when you display them on open shelves- I just had to get my hands on some.
First off, Know your terminology:
  • Pyrexia: When one has the 'Fever' or obsession for pyrex
  • Frankenstack: When you mix and match Pyrex; One bowl from one store, and you find another at a garage sale.
  • DWD: Dishwater Damaged. This is a common occurrence with vintage Pyrex. You cannot put Pyrex in the dishwasher, the finish becomes very cloudy and does not shine anymore.
There are SO many styles and kinds of Pyrex in patterns and solid colors, it's so hard to choose!
Here are some examples of Pyrex Shapes:
 Classic Mixing Bowls

Cinderella Mixing Bowls (w/pour spout)


 Refrigerator Containers, aka "Fridgie's"
 (my personal fave)
they come as a unit, and they all stack on top of one another in the fridge. 
Fridgie Selection
Chip and Dip Set
Balloon Pattern- Only came in Chip/Dip Set and really difficult to find.
Casserole Dishes
 
Once I figured out what shape I was looking for, I needed to figure out a pattern that I liked.  Little did I know... there are TONS of patterns! Some of the patterns are REALLY collectable, such as the 'Balloons' Pattern (seen above) and are more difficult to find in the 'wild.'
 
This guide was really helpful when deciding on a pattern:
 Pyrex pattern guide from 'Oh so Lovely Vintage'
 
I decided on the classic Butterprint:

Here is a list of antique/vintage shops I stopped at during my search in St. Paul and Stillwater (MN):
Mall of St. Paul (St. Paul)
- Blue Bicycle (St. Paul)
- American Gothic Antiques (Stillwater)
- Midtown Antique Mall (Stillwater)
- Staples Mill Antiques (Stillwater)
 
 
Here is what I found so far:
I found part of the classic 'Fridgie' Set. Not pictured, I recently found one of the two small red containers that sit on top. I found an almost complete butterprint mixing bowl set- usually there is one more larger bowl. Lastly, a round red kitchen casserole dish.
I will be displaying these lovelies in my kitchen!
 
If you decide to start your own collection...
Whatever you do, DONT PUT THEM IN THE DISHWATER #dwd (dishwater damaged)
Happy Hunting.
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts